Followers

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Turkey Pot Pies

Christmas is over for another year, i just finished taking down the tree and putting away the decorations. Sunday's dinner for nine went well, and I have plenty of leftovers. When I offered everyone some to take home, they ran out the door. So, I froze the potatoes for shepherd's pie, along with the rolls i forgot to serve. I took a couple turkey sandwiches with me to work Tuesday and had the rest of the stuffing and broccoli salad for another meal. But I still had plenty of turkey and gravy staring at me, along with a bowl of carrots. I had received three cookbooks as gifts for Christmas, so I found the perfect recipe in one of them: Company's Coming Most Loved Holiday Favourites. 

Turkey Pies


1+3/4 cups turkey gravy.
2 tsp minced onion flakes.
1/4 tsp salt.
1/8 tsp pepper.
1/8 tsp poultry seasoning.
1/4 cup prepared chicken broth.
2 + 2/3 cups cooked diced turkey.
1 cup cooked mixed vegetables, chopped.
Pastry for 2 double crust pies.

Combine first 5 ingredients. Add broth, 1 tbsp at a time, stirring until medium thin consistency. Add remaining ingredients, stir well.

Divide 2/3 of pastry into 6 equal portions. Roll out each on lightly floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. Line six 4+3/8 inch mini pie pans with each dough round. Spoon filling into shells.

Divide remaining dough into 6 equal portions, roll out each portion to cover pies. Crimp edges to seal well. if desired, brush top of pies with beaten egg. Poke slits in tops of pies for steam to escape.
Bake on bottom rack at about 400 F for 30 minutes until browned.


They overflowed a bit, since I did not use the egg sealing technique, but they turned out really nice. I only got three, because I only used enough dough to make one double crust pie. I added the turkey and carrots along with some frozen peas to the filling, it kind of looked nasty, but once cooked it tasted great!


I also used real onions instead of the onion flakes, just because that was all i have. They turned out delicious and quite filling! I threw two in the freezer and took the other for my dinner at work last night. It heated up quite nicely in the microwave, although the pastry was a bit soggy.


I hope that everyone had a great Christmas this year, or Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Solstice or weekend, if you do not celebrate. I got everything i needed (new cookie sheets and jeans) everything I wanted (new set of pots, housecoat), and a few other things to enjoy (cookbooks, ornaments, punch set) plus a couple of gift cards to get a few more things I need. Number one is a new rolling pin!

So now that leftovers are used up and everything is finished for another year, it is time to turn to a new one. I am going to a pot luck party this weekend for New Year's Eve, a first for me because I usually end up working that night. I have one more post i want to get up this year, but in case i don't have time, I want to wish everyone a safe and happy new year. Hope 2012 is the best of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment